Some Mnemosyne options missing in SuperMemo
Sent: Mar 14, 2017
Subject: 1. tags; 2. proportion of answer box; 3. browser window
I have the following basic problem with my vocabulary cards. I can solve the problem in Mnemosyne, but not in SuperMemo:
- I have 20 lessons with 1.000 cards each (each card has 1 English word, sorted by frequency from 1 ... 20.000).
- I want to start by learning lessons 1 - 3 (at the same time).
- After some time, I want to add lesson 4, 5 and so on. I do not want to learn all lessons at the same time, because less frequent words are naturally also less important and thus should be learned with a lower priority (e.g. one should start to learn words 18.000-20.000 only when one knows e.g. 90% of words in the 10.000-12.000 range.
Problem: As time passes, I will encounter words (on the internet, in a book) that occur not in lessons 1 - 3, but in lessons 4-20. Obviously I cannot and should not learn all 20 lessons (20.000 words) at the same time. But when I encounter a word in a book/internet, I will have to look it up anyway. So it would be important to add all these words to the pool of words that are currently actively learned.
In Mnemosyne, I can define (by activating tags) that I want to learn lessons 1-3 AND all cards from ALL lessons that have I have been tagged as e.g. "preponed". I.e., when I encounter a new word, I search for the respective card and tag it. Subsequently, it will show up within the current set of cards that I am learning, i.e. e.g. lessons 1 -3, plus all cards tagged as "preponed".
Is there any solution to this? ______________________________
2. answer box:
I also found no way to change the proportion of question and answer box. I have only one or two words in the question box, but often a lot of text in the answer box. Is there a solution?
3. browser window:
I have several web-links in my answers, and often I want to launch them in Opera. Would it be possible to make e.g. Ctrl-left-click open the link in the operating system's default browser? Currently, this seems to require a lot of clicks.
Your question will be split to separate questions for a more comprehensive answer. It does not look like there is anything missing in SuperMemo. It seems it is all about "habits and solutions".
- to learn words out of sequence, you need to do search (Ctrl+F) and memorize (Ctrl+M)
- to change sizes of fields you only need to Alt+click twice and resize (see also templates)
- Shift+click on a link should open the target in a new browser window
- Question 1: Sequencing vocabulary material in SuperMemo
- Question 2: to change the size of the fields enter the dragging mode and resize the fields (see also: templates)
- Question 3: to open a link in a browser window, press Shift and click the link (this behavior may depend on the settings in your Internet Explorer)