Problems with incremental video
As of Dec 1, 2017, SuperMemo 17 for Windows, version 17.3, uses a new YouTube API in incremental video script. This means that all posts related to problems with upgrading to new YouTube API are no longer relevant. The posts will be retained for archiving purposes, and for users of older versions of SuperMemo.
SuperMemo 17.3 uses a script named YouTube.htm in place of the old yt.htm which you can now delete (folder \bin). The new script is a stub that runs the actual script from supermemory.info server.
Privacy: We do not collect user data while running the script. The change of execution mode was caused by a bug in YouTube API for which we received no feedback from Google support in 12 months. The dependence on the server can be changed with one parameter in the script. You can run this script from your own server.
If you want to use new YouTube API in older SuperMemos, you will need to substitute your yt.htm script with the new version (see: Workaround). There are few minor issues with handling keyboard shortcuts though. Those hiccups have only be fully resolved in version 17.3.
For more see: Incremental Video
- if you cannot run any YouTube videos imported to SuperMemo see: YouTube in SuperMemo stopped working
- if your YouTube videos are slow to start see: YouTube playback is very slow in incremental video
- if you cannot play some video files (e.g. mp4), see: I cannot play my mp4 file in incremental video
SM-16 has problems playing video files (.mp4) and Youtube. Few weeks ago, I sent the following email to your support and I got a response. I followed the instruction, but it did not solve the problem. Files are playing fine with my window media player, but not in SuperMemo. SM doesn't even import the file. In addition, youtube files takes about 1 minute or two to play a youtube video that is only 5 minutes long.
I am using Windows Vista, IE9, and downloaded the codecs.
I upgraded to SuperMemo 16 for its video incremental future. It is not working. I get an error message when I try to import my video files ( mp4). There is a screen shot of the error message that I get. I also attached a copy of it.
MP4 should work ok in SM16. In your case, this must be related to the way your videos are handled in Windows updating/installing video drivers/codecs should solve the problem. Please see: http://wiki.supermemo.org/index.php?title=Cannot_open_player_device The error message comes from the MCI system, not SuperMemo itself (even though it is displayed by SuperMemo).
Note: I am unable to attach an image file to here. When I click on the image icon, I get this File:Example.jpg.
- YouTube and MP4 problems are not related and should be addressed separately
- it is not clear what you mean by saying When I click on the image icon, I get this File:Example.jpg. If you choose Upload file in Wiki (on the left), you should get all instructions about uploading files. Naturally, you have to name your own file, not use our example.jpg
- once you solve the problem, please write which steps you used (to improve the documentation)
To solve your YouTube problem see: YouTube playback is very slow in incremental video
To solve your problem with mp4 files see: I cannot play my mp4 file in incremental video